Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Unalei Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Hello, sure willingly!
I gave birth to “Unalei” in early 2013. I use to play since I were a kid, but that was the right moment to concentrate on creating something new, strong, original: the project with whom I would exit from the shell. But for this kind of things you need, first of all inspiration. As I found it, I started immediately composing “A Sua Immagine”.

2.You have an album coming out in August, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

There are moments in the album in which I ask to myself: is this really my stuff? The production lasted nine months, intense and deleterious. The highlight of “Taedium Vitae” is that manages to have its own personality in the musical sea in which we live today, both from the melodic/armonic and the non-canonic production points of view. It’s original and experimental, but it shows, at the same time the solid root of the genres where I come from. If “A Sua Immagine” hadn’t a concrete personality, “Taedium Vitae”, on the other side, become, during the play, a lot of things without esitate. A creature that transfigure itself very naturally. The tracks aren’t born from a collage of scattered riffs, but from the continuous development of a starting one. All sections of the songs were accordingly starting from the initial melody and bringing it to an end, a complete cycle.

3.You label your music as 'Decadent Post metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

It simply is what we play, a decadent music with a strong inspiration in Metal... You could consider it a mix of poetic and decadent atmospheres, with a strong Metal structure and an alternative and Indie touch to what we intend to express and show. Anyway, I don’t like labels…

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unalei'?

Well, the reasons are various and all valid:
The feminine symbolism, the woman cult have ever been one my favourite topics in art, it’s something sublime that it’s hard to describe it every time that someone ask me that. I think that an ideal partner in live, an ideal love, with an everlasting passion, a genuine life, will always be the foundation of “Unalei”, like those that you can found in folk novels. In fact, I usually take inspiration, unconsciously, from the right opposite of what I get and this era we live…I’m actually making clarity deep inside of me.
Another reason it’s that I’ve a femininity quite developed that manifests itself in the most different situations. I get along very well with woman, but I can’t stand with the majority of man and their way of think, speak, walk. And the male body, much more caducous of woman’s, disgust me.
For a moment, at the beginning I decided to dedicate the whole project to a person, but soon this purpose faded within my hopes and the short ray of happiness of the moment…

5.Currently the band is a duo, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future?

Yes, today I’ve the first meeting with a guitarist and today with a drummer! Not for a stable line-up, but just for a possible couple of very important concerts coming up very, but very soon, we’re in a hurry. Let’s see how it goes, it’s an improvised line-up… It’s not in my planes yet to organize a tour or what else, I’d like to concentrate on some other aspect of my life, now that “Taedium Vitae” it’s archived.

6.Has the band done any live shows yet?

No, never. But the various shift workers know the tracks, we’re good players after all, although not perfect.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of post metal?

I guess it’s soon to say that, but you can be sure: the work will be appreciated more from other genres listeners, rather than metalheads and post metal fan’s…it’s too various. Fortunately. I’ve been always glad that so many different kind of people liked my music, or just something in a track, a riff or a vocal….

8.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I don’t know. I spend everyday of the last three years on “Taedium Vitae” and now I’m filled up. Since I finished to record I play very rarely, I mainly listen no new music, but I don’t wanna think about Unalei’s future. I’m more worried about Federico’s one. I’m so young and I want to live these years out of the recording studio. Anyway, I have the structure of two new album’s almost ready in my hard disk ( laugh ). It’s a continuous battle with myself.

9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The hardest questions. Right now I’m listening to Lene Marlin and Cèline Dion. I was a metalhead during teenage. At last, I came to the conclusion that I like only doom and black metal, old and moderns, better if influenced and mixed with other stuff. I started studying classical music, and today I’m trying to listen to metal the least possibie. ‘Til now I’ve been influenced from Novembre, Oblivio, Radiohead, Amesoeurs, Yoko Kanno, Nobuo Uematsu, Faye Wong, Utada Hikaru, Colapesce, Bjork, Massimo Volume, The 3rd And The Mortal, Opeth, Ulver, Tori Amos, Dead Can Dance, Massive Attack, Portishead, Baustelle, My Dying Bride, The Gathering,Tactile Gemma, Slowdive, Deathspell Omega, The Smiths, Katatonia & October Tide, Klimt 1918, Devin Townsend, Agalloch, Draconian, Dark Sanctuary, Bloodbath, , Behemoth, Lantlos, Alcest, Paradise Lost. But the metal prevailed. Now I definitely to change approach to my music, and you know what? I’m sure to can express myself without a metal sound. I imagine a melancholic and epic pop/rock with an electro  arrangement, clean vocals, I don’t knoe.Well…I liked a manga called “Steins; Gate”. Check it out!!
Now I’m rediscovering classical music, but most of the stuff the thrilled me came from the soundtracks. Soundtrack from videogames, series, japanese anime and films. That’s maybe it’s Unalei’s future!

10.What are some of your non musical interests?
Books, silence, flowers, large spaces, nature, hiking, scouting, goth culture, post-modernisms. Get tired of something and then feel the pleasure to free from that.

11.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 
Sure!
First of all thanks for this interview and the space!!
We need all the support that the fans can give to us.
So, I tempt all the readers to share our music, if you like it, maybe comment, give likes. I don’t like this, definitely. But nowadays is how it works, the only you can do it’s to accept what you find when come to this world. All this new technology and progress, gave me the chance to make this interview and publish “Taedium Vitae”. I was born in a very small town, and that it would be impossible for me in another time….
So, support Unalei!! If someone would like to write me in private, I’m a normal person who enjoy meet new ones and have a casual chat. I feel alone.
Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment