Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Apathy Noir Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?



Well, just a few days after I released the new album, I got involved with some legal business regarding my band name.  I was contacted by a lawyer representing another artist named Apathy, who insisted that I changed the name of the band and also remove all content referring to the name on the internet. Being a small, independent artist myself I don't have

the resources to take up the fight, so I've been pretty busy with renaming the band to Apathy Noir, and all the work that comes with that. I have re-released the whole discography under the name Apathy Noir and currently I'm working on the physical CD release of the new album which will be released in a couple of months.



2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



I think it's pretty hard to describe it with a single word or single genre. I usually say Progressive Death/Doom Metal but aside from genre-tags I'd say the music is melancholic, melodic, slightly progressive metal with death metal vocals infused with some blues/jazz-inspired parts. The new album is a bit different from the previous album, which was heavier and harsher and not as melodic. I think the sound of the new album is more in line with the debut album, the fact that the original vocalist is back also adds to that.



3.This is the first full length to come out since 2013, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going on during that time span?



I actually started writing new songs only a couple of months after the release of Beneath the Ashen Sky. I usually write and record stuff at the same time, so since late 2013 to the summer of 2015 I constantly wrote, recorded and mixed the album. However, in early 2015 the vocalist decided to quit so I had to start searching for a replacement. Luckily, Vidar Wetterhall, who also did the vocals on the demo and the debut album was interested. It did however delay the album about 6 months though.



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?



We often use nature, sorrow and solitude in our lyrics, but for the new album Vidar Wetterhall (vocalist) came up with a lyrical theme or concept that sort of continues where the first album left off.  In short it's story of a fishing village chief who is lured away out on to the seas by seductive sirens. A journey with lots of twists and turns. Like a sorrowful tales of the seas, if you wish.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Apathy Noir'?



As I mentioned earlier in the interview, I had to change the band name from Apathy and adding the word Noir seemed pretty fitting. Not only it is a word that I use in my production company, Artnoir Productions, it is also the french word for "black" or "dark". As for "Apathy", I chose that name in 2003 when I was in a pretty shitty state of mind, and it felt like I didn't had the energy to care for much anymore. Pretty funny that a whole new band was born out of that.



6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?



Apathy Noir has never played any live shows, as it is a one-man band. Perhaps in the future I'll find some live-musicians who can join me and we'll play some shows!



7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?



No. Not unless I find some band members really quick and rehearse like hell!



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



Apathy Noir is unsigned, and everything is self-released. It's a lot of work doing everything yourself, but also rewarding. I wouldn't mind having a label taking care of things like promotion and distribution because that is the hardest part as a unsigned artist I think. I would also love to re-relase my older stuff on CD, vinyl, etc but it is hard to finance yourself - in that regards having a label behind you would be a great asset!



9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom and death metal?



People really seems to like it (generally). I do hope that I can transmit some of the feelings and pictures I see when I write the music to my listeners. I've heard some comments that it's like watching a movie when listening to Apathy Noir and that's really a fantastic response to get.



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



It's difficult to say. I have a lot of ideas in my mind but we'll just see what comes naturally. I don't like to set an exact idea for how the next release will sound, because that will only hinder your creative process. I would however like to experiment more with the calmer and acoustic parts of the band's sound.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Oh, it's so many things. I grew up listening to stuff like The Beatles, Queen, Procol Harum etc. so that has always been a part of my influences. I obviously have to mention Opeth, that had a big impact on me when I was starting out, especially their early albums. Other big influences is or have been Agalloch, Amorphis, Ulver, Tiamat, Hypocrisy just to name a few. I also draw a lot of inspiration from movies, tv-series, video games and books.



12.What are some of your non musical interests?



I really enjoy binge watching tv-series, reading books and renovating on my house. I'm also quite a rum-nerd!



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thank you for the interview and thanks for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment