Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pest Lives Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?

Pest Lives is my solo act which I use to create extreme minimalist music. It was formed in late 2010 and in early 2011 I had the chance to release a split album with Depriver under the net label, Drowning.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?

Bleak, dark, minimalist. I'm a huge fan of minimalist art and I think this is my take on that form of art through a metal genre point of view. Basically it's just guitar through and through, no other instrument is involved. Played slowly and monotonous in order to create that trance state, more akin to an act of worshipping something unseen.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Urban decay. My songs are my homage to the victim of urban life everywhere, voiceless people looking for a way to be heard as everyday they're forced to conform to the consumptive and bourgeois lifestyle. And I think the best way to explore this is by not using any vocal or lyric at all. Sort of learning to appreciate the beauty of having none. 

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

It was a result of some late night thinking. Again, I was looking at how the life in big city destroys the humanist in it's inhabitants. I think we all live like pests at some point. Thus the name Pest Lives was chosen.

5. Has the band had any oppurtunities to do any live shows, if so what are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

I'd rather not perform live at this point. For me Pest Lives is something extremely personal, so unless I can find a perfect gig/platform to perform, I'd rather release more songs through internet. I do want to perform a free gig in a public space or in an art gallery though.

6. Currently you are signed to Drowning, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?

Adyth from Depriver had a contact with Drowning. He then contacted me to do a split with him. I have to say, Danny, the head honcho of Drowning, has been really positive and helpful. Even though he lives in a different continent from me, he's able to communicate efficiently through internet. I guess he really loves music that he released through his label and for me, that's the best value a label owner can have.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of underground music?

Well, you came to contact me (actually you're the first one to do so) that's a good beginning. Matter of fact I haven't heard much of feedback from others so I can't give you anything on this one.

8. Are there any other projects besides this band or is this a full time line-up?

Yep, I've just started a band called Rawa (it means swamp in English) which is basically a bit like Pest Lives only I do use more instruments on this one such as synth, gamelan (a traditional Javanese instrument) and I have a drummer with me. I'd like to keep Pest Live minimalist with guitar only approach and Rawa as the opposite, which consists of broader elements such as free jazz and blues.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I haven't finished exploring the power of this guitar-only music, so I think I'll keep on tinkering on that one.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The usual drone metal suspect, Sunn O))), KTL, early Earth. Also old Brian Eno stuffs have been really influential. Lately, I've been listening to Painkiller, Napalm Death and the new The Mars Volta album. I'm a big fan of them and it's nice to see they finally made a good album after one or two mediocre releases.

11. How would you describe the underground scene in your home country?

It's very healthy. More bands are releasing amazing material. I remember regularly coming to a local metal/hardcore gig and 9 times out of 10, bands who performed blow me away. If you want a piece of Indonesian underground scene, check out these bands: Komunal, Cranial Incisored, Tengkorak, Tcukimay. Those are my all time favorites.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Well I make a living creating interactive art installations and that really is my main interest. I also enjoy watching football (or soccer) and watch horror and avant garde movies.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Much appreciated for coming with these questions. I'll make sure that I follow your webzine regularly. Horns up!
www.adityo.net

No comments:

Post a Comment