Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rue Interview


RUE interview (answers by Mike Burns)
1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

At this moment taking a little bit of time to regroup, get threw the
holidays and start working on new material.


2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the new
album and how it differs from previous recordings.

Well it's always been obvious with this band that we don't really follow
any "rules" when it comes to song writing. What ever comes out comes out,
with in reason. With Thorns I would say we spent more time and thought
into the writing process, and the recording process. Prior releases
weren't effortless per say, but we evolved as song writers and recording
artists. In the past I would never lay down a track we couldn't do live.
With Thorns we kinda tried new things I guess.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with
the new release?

Mainly hate for humanity, ignorant people, past personal shit ect.. ect..


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

We wanted a simple name that was easy to remember. The saying "rue the day
you were born" came up in conversation at practice one day, so we rolled
with Rue.


5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how
would you describe your stage performance?

We have played so many shows in so many places with such amazing bands
across the US over the years. And we drink n stuff. Man... that's kinda a
hard one. Also other members of the band I'm sure have different opions of
their best show. So lets just say the good ones have been great, and the
shitty ones were just shit. As far as our live performance, well it's
always loud and full of energy.


6. Do you have any touring plans for the new releases?

We did some east/midwest dates in the few months prior to the release. We
have plans for some things late March/April.


7. You took a long hiatus from releasing new music what where you doing
during that time?

Dealing with line up changes, financial situations, daily life and such.
We never really took any kind of "hiatus" so to speak. We just couldn't
afford to record an album. Plain and simple.


8. Currently you are singed to Shifty Records, how did you get in contact
with that label and how would you describe the support that they have
given you so far?

Shifty is a local guy for us. I met him outside a punk show in Kent prolly
around 99 or 2000. He gave me a Boulder cd he had put out. Then a year or
so later I join up with Sofa king Killer and they had a relationship with
him. That's when I met Corey from Fistula which also had a relationship with
Shifty. Corey and I went on to start Rue and things just kinda fell in
place. He's a great dude. Easy to work with. very D.Y.I. Which allows us to
do what we wanna do when we wanna do it.


9. On a worldwide level how has your new album been received by sludge
metal fans?

So far so good.


10. Are there any other projects besides this band or is this a full time
line up?

We no longer have a full time bass player, but we do have a solid fill in
for now. Our Bass player went on to do Mockingbird full time. I myself
play bass in a 70's style rock band called The Unclean that has a new
record coming out. I also dabble in an experimental doom metal project
called Kreatur. Pronounced Creature. It's pretty much just me and who ever
I choose to play a show. A lot of amps, lights, and fog. Maybe sometimes
to much fog.


11. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

It's hard to say. So far a lot darker.


12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music
and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Other members like a lot of different things. For me I grew up on hard
core. Black Flag, Minor Threat, Misfits. From there it went to thrash,
like Celtic Frost, DRI. Then death metal, Grind Core ect ect ect. It
finally came back around to good ol loud rock n roll. For the most part I
listen to the same ol shit on my Ipod. The new Rwake album is killer. Got
a Trap Them record from a few years ago I really dig. New Brutal Truth,
good shit.


13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I myself am into motorcycles. Street,dirt,track. Sport bikes, American
bikes, British bikes. Chevy trucks on road and off, guns, out doors. I
also enjoy smoking.


14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment